Apr 20, 2010

Ecollustration of the week: Peter Callesen

There's a change in the blog, now tuesdays is the day I will share artists I like, Wednesdays = D.I.Y recycling and Thursday = Ecollustration of the week, since I have no more books from my library to share. I do have my eyes on some books I plan to add to my library ,but I'm waiting till I move to Oregon , I don't want to add more weigh to my packing. Anyway today's artist, I came across actually on my senior year when I was working, cutting and folding paper for a musical box/marble maze I built. Yes, this one:


Peter Callesen is an artist from Denmark, his only mediums are A4 paper and patience of a saint. His work consist of cutouts and folds, some are plain white other colored. He also creates LARGE cut outs and framed ones as well. His work looks so lightweight and clean it glows. Another reason I like them they have a strong sense of storytelling, because it makes you think (or made up) about the story that it portrays in your mind. I like his reason for using the A4 paper "It is probably the most common and consumed media used for carrying information today. This is why we rarely notice the actual materiality of the A4 paper. By taking away all the information and starting from scratch using the blank white A4 paper sheet for my creations, I feel I have found a material that we are all able to relate to, and at the same time the A4 paper sheet is neutral and open to fill with different meaning. The thin white paper gives the paper sculptures a frailty that underlines the tragic and romantic theme of my works."- Peter Callesen.

Here are some of my favorites:






















Enjoy!

p

No comments:

Post a Comment